Dodge Durango Forum banner

Fuel pump and No Bus message

12K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Gabe303 
#1 ·
I have been fighting a battle for some time now where my D decides it just doesn't want to go anywhere and won't start. Normally when this happens, I can't hear the fuel pump turn on and, if I leave the key in the run position, I get a NO BUS message on the odometer. I was thinking it was a problem with the PCM but, after reading a post about a bad fuel pump, I decided to try and tap on the gas tank. To my surprise, when I turned the key on, the fuel pump kicked in and it fired right up. Any ideas on how these two things might be related? With 240k miles on it, I'm sure the fuel pump needs to be replaced, but the NO BUS message has me concerned.

Thanks,
Al

#3 ·
It's a 2002.

I'd think the two weren't related also, but I tried to start it 3 times in a row and each time the fuel pump wouldn't turn on and the NO BUS message would show up. After the third time, I turned the key off, tapped on the tank, tried to start it again, and it fired right up.

Al

#4 ·
My 99 would quit mid flight, about 5 minutes after a cold start, and I found MY trick on it was to pull the center connector off the PCM in engine bay to "reset the electrical" and, when I got back into the seat, she'd fired up right away. The PCM must have had a thermal issue as the reset always worked until the next cold start. Warm starts, 0- 60 mins after restart, it always ran with no issue. 2+ hrs or more, and I had to pull the connector to get it to start up. I replaced the PCM and no further issues. If you have the 5.9, I'd lean toward the PCM as the issue as this was inherent in the 1999 models. Unless you don't know the history behind your D, possibly you've got a 99 PCM in there?

#5 ·
I bought it new from the dealer in 2002 so I do know the history of it. Pretty much all original other than your standard maintenance items. I had to buy a backup car for work a couple years ago when the mileage on the D got north of 200k and little problems started creeping in. It's been parked for awhile and I'm really starting to miss it. It's been good to me all these years, so a few parts into it doesn't bother me. I think I'll start with the pump and go from there.

#6 ·
The NO BUS is a scary one with the fuel pump!
Just check one other thing. Make sure the wires coming from alternator and battery are securely fastened at the PDC (fuse panel) under the hood. There have been a few where the wires have come loose at that lug and caused real crazy issues.
Steve
DOC Pres

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.