Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 99 Durango ABS & brake warning light on

Member #

99 Durango ABS & brake warning light on

I need some help with a problem I've got with my 99 Durango. I have the ABS and brake warning light on intermittently on the dash. I replaced the ABS sensor on the rear axle and the park brake switch and the lights still come on and stay on. I tried unplugging the electrical plug to the ABS control unit, cleaned the terminals and plugging it back in. I started it up and, after a few seconds, the lights go out and seem to stay out until you turn it off and restart it, then they come back on. I did the start and switch it off test a couple of times, and once the lights went out and stayed out without disconnecting the plug, but then guess what, on starting they came back on and stayed on.

I also disconnected and reconnected the battery and it made no difference.

Anyone got any more suggestions as I'm at a loss??

BTW, I only have RWAL.
    2001 Durango SLT 5.9 2wd
    2000 Dakota R/T

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Some basic questions first. What condition are the rear brakes in physically? Have they been adjusted recently? How long since you had the hydraulic fluid flushed in the brake lines? Do you have access to a scanning tool that can read brake DTC's? What's your fluid level in the master cylinder? Don't fill it if it's low!
    Hanson front bumper, Kennesaw rear bumper, Ranch9000xl's w/ remote, Detroit Locker, lots of other goodies

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Further diagnostics may lead to changing the ABS control unit. $600 installed from "MY" dealership, which turns out to be more than the other dealership would have charged. It did get rid of my 2 dash lights. Also make sure your power steering fluid isn't leaking as it can cause issues with the electrical systems.
    1999 Durango 360 FM 50, PS Headers, K&N FIPK, Rancho RSX's, SuperChips 3865, T/S lift, Hughes plenum/rebuild
    2012 Challenger SXT 3.6l, Stock 267HP, 254 torque
    2004 RAM HEMI QC LB 7" lifted 2WD FM 84MM TB, SC 3815, factory freak

Member #
    Not sure on condition of rear brakes, previous owner reckons he changed L/H rear wheel cylinder and shoes, guessing not complete set of shoes as 1/2 pair of shoes were left in rear load area!! Would this cause a problem even if I hadn't moved the car and why does it go on and off when it feels like it?
    2001 Durango SLT 5.9 2wd
    2000 Dakota R/T

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Rather than throwing any more money at it you need the brake code read so you know what it is. Note: you can't do that with an standard OBD reader nor pull it up in the odometer, you need an ABS code reader. Find a shop that'll just read the code for you and then you can decide if you want to fix it yourself.
    99 Durango 5.9, FT 4x4, IP stage III w/ K&N air hat, M1, SCT, Fastman TB, 1.7 RR, JBA headers, Borla cat back, Martin Saine valve body, Hotchkis swaybars, Blistein shocks, lowered 2" Black Rhino Kenya wheels, 246. 7 RWHP, 319 TQ

Member #
    I'll have to try to find someone with an ABS code reader, not sure if any at work will do it as most of ours cover UK market vehicles.
    2001 Durango SLT 5.9 2wd
    2000 Dakota R/T

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Probably due to fluid contamination. As far as the half set redo, I'd check the brake adjustment in the rear as that controls the pedal height for the D and the self adjusters never work. It's possible that the other side hydraulic cylinder has started to leak or the shoes are worn out on that side. Get a read as suggested and then do a complete physical inspection to learn where the rear brakes are at physically.
    Hanson front bumper, Kennesaw rear bumper, Ranch9000xl's w/ remote, Detroit Locker, lots of other goodies

Links