A Few Problems?
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Few Problems?

Member #

A Few Problems?

Not sure if I should make a different post for each one or not but if you think I should please let me know and I'll.

Vehicle Specs:
    2001 Durango SLT 4.7L 4x4 with remote start.

Anyways onto my problems?

Long cranking when cold:
    When the engine has been put away hot and has a chance to cool down, it has to crank for a good 5-7 second (feels like a minute) before it'll fire. It fires every time, just has to crank for a while. If for example I pull it out of my drive way and park it on the road, the next time I go to start it it'll start normally. I've changed the plugs and coils, and have a K&N intake and Flowaster muffler.

Blower Motor:
    Just the other day the blower motor stopped working properly. It'll only turn on when set to full speed, on any of the other settings it does nothing. The rear one is working normally. I've checked every fuse I can find (relevant fuse or not.) Both this problem and the 4x4 problem came to my attention after the Durango sat for a few days with a dead battery and I boosted it. *EDIT* Ok now the highest speed has stopped working too. So no front blower at all.

4X4:
    My 4x4 selector is lit up but it won't switch into 4x4. I switch to 4x4 and the 4wd light blinks for a while and goes back to 2wd. I've tried with it in D, N, and R while moving and stopped. I even turned off the engine and listened to see if I could hear it trying to change and it doesn't. Both this problem and the blower motor problem came to my attention after the Durango sat for a few days with a dead battery and I boosted it.

Drivers Heated Seat:
    Right as the weather started to get really cold my drivers heated seat stopped working (go figure on the timing? it couldn't have done it while it was moderately mild and I was using it!) I checked the fuse and it checks out. Sometimes when I hit the button it stays on like it's working but it never heats up, other times it flashes indicating an error. I have a feeling the heating coil gave out.

I REALLY appreciate any help you guys can give me and I normally solve my problems myself instead of bugging you guys, but these really have me stumped

If you need anymore info or videos/pics just let me know?

Member #
    Liked
    897 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    I'll take a couple:

Long cranking: when you go out to your D at a time when it'd crank for a long time, turn the key on for a few seconds, then off for a few seconds, then on for a few seconds. If you have the window down (not the door open, because that'll give you the warning chimes) you should hear the fuel pump run for a seconds then stop each time. See if it starts faster after you do that, it could mean a bad check valve or a leaky injector.

Blower motor: resistor pack is shot. Search for "blower resistor" and you'll find things like this.
    What?
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Heated seat may be a broken element. Take off the seat cover and look for corresponding scorch marks. If the marks are evident, that's the location of the break in the line. Repair connection, replace seat cover, done.

+1 on blower resister. Generally a simple diagnosis and an easy fix on a 2001.

IndyDurango

Durango Jedi Master
    Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    The heated seat operating lights on the switch should tell you what's wrong. I don't have that option, so I never learned the code as to what light combo means what but others on the site can tell you. Makes it easy to know where to start looking. I know it sounds kinda unfriendly to just get told to search for something, but this question gets asked 2-3 times a year so the answer should be readily available.

+3 on the fan resistor pack. How to is also in the archives? many times! (one of the more common problems that crops up)

Agree on the leaking fuel system/injector as a start.

Could have a bad motor on the t-case or bad connections somewhere in the 4x4 circuit.
    Hanson front bumper, Kennesaw rear bumper, Ranch9000xl's w/ remote, Detroit Locker, lots of other goodies

Durango Guru
    Member #
    +4 on resistor, pretty easy fix but check wiring harness as well for breaks in the wires.

Heated Seats: Check the Durango Forum, Sharpshooter325 did a fairly recent and detailed thread on heated seat repair complete with photos.

I'm an 03 man myself, so I won't try to profess knowledge on the other stuff.

Good luck!!

Member #
    I figured most of this stuff was common and I appologize for not looking first

New update on the blower motor, even the high range stopped working tonight.

As for the long cranking, it's not the fuel pump. I tried changing it twice, both times with a brand new one. Leaking injector, I don't know?? That could be a possibility but how do I know what one?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    RE: long cranking. Could be a bad battery? I've had the same problem so I use a battery tender during the cold winter nights and she starts right up every time. HTH.
    Clear lenses w/ HID conversion- 6000K, strobes and LEDs, tints all around, Prestige alarm w/ remote start, Flex-A-Lite VSC, homebrew CAI, Gen 2 wiper conversion, folding Dumbo ears. More to come!

Zen
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    '03 Dodge Durango SLT
    +5 on the blower resistor. I changed mine out recently, very cheap and easy fix.

Member #
    Not the battery, my stereo eats a battery ever 3-4 months so they're not even in there long enough to get dirty. And the starting problem is still there when I put a brand new battery in.

Ok, so I've decided that tomorrow I'm going to go get the resistor pack but in all of the reading I have done no one has stated where it's located on an 01? I found on 98-00 it's under the cowl.

And I haven't been able to find how to go about fixing the heated seat. I found how to trouble shoot it and, according to the light diagnostics, it's an open coil.

The 2 things that really have me worried are?

Apparently with the faulty resistor pack, the fastest fan setting still works? which mine did? till tonight.

And the 4x4 stopped working at the same time as the slow fan speeds stopped working? or at least I just happened to notice both right after I boosted my D due to a dead battery for a few days.

I'm in college right now and can't afford any expensive repairs.

Durango Jedi Master
    Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    One of the problems with the resistor going bad is that the connector sometimes gets overheated at the same time. This could have led to a shorted wire that might have effected the wiring for the 4x circuit, but I doubt it as the lights for that circuit still seem to work. I don't have a service manual for the year you have, so I don't know the wiring well enough to go any further. Hopefully someone will chime in with a suggestion.

Generally, a new battery isn't fully charged when installed. Best to put a charger on it to fully charge to possibly improve battery life. I know, you probably have more draw from sound equipment than the system can handle. A lot of us are using kinetics batteries for this problem. A marine battery will also address these issues as well as they're designed to be run flat and recharged without significant cell damage. Dual battery systems can also be wired in to handle this.

The seat coil can be repaired but may create a hot spot at the repair. The only other option is to replace the element itself, not hard but more expensive. Look back to what I wrote someone about the heating element and that should lead you down the right track. Good luck.

You must have a killer system. How about some pics and info about your ride.
    Hanson front bumper, Kennesaw rear bumper, Ranch9000xl's w/ remote, Detroit Locker, lots of other goodies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links