Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Torsion Bar question

Member #

Torsion Bar question

An many of you know, I cranked up my torsion bars 6 turns on each side last week and had new tires installed with an alignment. While putting up Christmas decorations I was looking at my truck from the front and something didn't look right so I broke out the tape measure and found the right (passenger side) front is 1/2" lower than the left when measuring at the lip of the wheel well. I also checked the running boards and the same is true and the left front tire sticks out of the fender well by about 1/4" while the right one is 1/2" short of the edge of the fender well.

Should I crank the right side up 2 more turns for another 1/2" then have it re-aligned?
    '05 Durango SLT Bright White 5.7 Hemi
    33" Cooper SST Mud Terrain
    K&N Filter
    Air Lift Rear Suspension

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Vehicle
    1999 5.9 Durango SLT, 2004 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab
    Kick the low side up a 1/4", take it for a ride and recheck. Raise as needed. I'd drive it around so the suspension chances settles in and make sure it's on something level ground when measuring.
    52mm TB, MP PCM, M1, IP Stage III, PPH Headers/3" Magnaflow SS exhaust
    SRT/10 Hood, Stillen Bumper Cover, Keystone Wing, Street Scene mirrors, Billet Fuel Door & Grill, Angel Eyes
    2"Lift, 285/60/18 Falken Ziek S/TR on MB Gunner 6 Rims
    Rear buckets and '03 Rear

Member #
    Agreed. When I did mine, I had to drive it around and hit a few bumps. Then I pulled it in the garage, measured, and adjusted accordingly. It took a few tried before I liked the way it looked (I'm OCD about that kind of stuff. LOL)
    1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 - Platinum
    Lots of upgrade goodies

Member #
    I have a little OCD in me too, that's how I noticed it! Thanks for the input, will go for it.
    '05 Durango SLT Bright White 5.7 Hemi
    33" Cooper SST Mud Terrain
    K&N Filter
    Air Lift Rear Suspension

Member #
    When replacing torsion bars I'm guessing it'd be a good idea to count the number of turns when removing the old ones and install the new ones to that number of turns?? I had a little oops on a trail run and part of the carnage has a bent torsion bar. I'm hoping to replace it and the upper control arm before I have shoulder surgery on Jan 7th. Otherwise it'll be Spring/Summer before I can get to it and I don't like the idea of my passenger front tire being an inch closer to the rear than the drivers front tire.
    Dan - student at Front Range Community College, Westminster, CO. 98 D 4x4 5.2 / 4 spd a/t, CPR, helixed TB spacer, MSD #8228 coil, homemade CAI, PPH headers/full custom exhaust, Superchips. 1998 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, 3.3L V6, 5 spd m/t, white.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Vehicle
    1999 5.9 Durango SLT, 2004 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab
    It doesn't matter how many turns. However, replacing just the one will give you 1 new one and 1 old one; maybe you should replace them both? Either way, good level ground and careful measurements will get you level in the end.
    52mm TB, MP PCM, M1, IP Stage III, PPH Headers/3" Magnaflow SS exhaust
    SRT/10 Hood, Stillen Bumper Cover, Keystone Wing, Street Scene mirrors, Billet Fuel Door & Grill, Angel Eyes
    2"Lift, 285/60/18 Falken Ziek S/TR on MB Gunner 6 Rims
    Rear buckets and '03 Rear

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Vehicle
    2007 Durango Night Runner
    Mods
    1 of 241 made
    I don't mean to be Captain Obvious here, but I'd want to get that thing leveled out ASAP. Seems to me that a tilted truck is a bad thing for performance, re staying upright.

2007 Hemi Nightrunner D
    2013 Hemi Bighorn Ram

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzo.d
    It doesn't matter how many turns. However, replacing just the one will give you 1 new one and 1 old one; maybe you should replace them both? Either way, good level ground and careful measurements will get you level in the end.
    Considering my current financial situation, I'm replacing the bent torsion bar with one from a salvage yard. When things improve, I intend to replace both torsion bars and the upper & lower control arms with new parts as well as all the suspension bushings (I want to go with polyurethane.) I even plan to R&R the leaf springs as mine are showing their age.

Quote Originally Posted by Durangutan
    I don't mean to be Captain Obvious here, but I'd want to get that thing leveled out ASAP. Seems to me that a tilted truck is a bad thing for performance, re staying upright.
    The torsion bar is only slightly bent, not enough that the truck is leaning or anything like that.
    Dan - student at Front Range Community College, Westminster, CO. 98 D 4x4 5.2 / 4 spd a/t, CPR, helixed TB spacer, MSD #8228 coil, homemade CAI, PPH headers/full custom exhaust, Superchips. 1998 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, 3.3L V6, 5 spd m/t, white.

Links